This Recommendation International Standard is applicable to continuous-tone grayscale or colour digital still image data. It is applicable to a wide range of applications which require use of compressed images. This Recommendation International Standard
- defines extensions [including variable quantization, selective refinement, tiling, and a Still Picture Interchange File Format (SPIFF)] to processes for converting Source image data to compressed image data;
- defines extensions to processes for converting compressed image data to reconstructed image data;
- defines coded representations for compressed image data;
- gives guidance and examples on how to implement these extensions in practice;
- describes compliance tests for these extensions.