This part of ISO/IEC 14443 describes
- polling for PICCs entering the field of a PCD
- the byte format, the frames and timing used during the initial phase of communication between proximity coupling devices (PCDs) and proximity integrated circuit(s) cards (PICCs)
- the initial REQ and ATQ command content
- methods to detect and communicate with one card among several cards (anticollision)
- other parameters required to initialize communications between a proximity card and a proximity coupling device
- optional means to ease and speed up the selection of one among several cards based on application criteria i.e. the one it most likely has to transact with.